In Singapore’s education system, there are generally five types of subjects that students study. These subjects are part of the national curriculum and are offered at various levels of education. The five types of subjects are:
- Mother Tongue Languages: Singapore is a multilingual country with four official languages: English, Malay, Mandarin Chinese, and Tamil. Students are required to study their respective mother tongue language, which is determined by their ethnicity.
- Mathematics: Mathematics is a core subject and is taught throughout the education system. It covers various topics such as algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and statistics.
- Science: Science education in Singapore typically includes subjects like Physics, Chemistry, and Biology. Students study these subjects to understand the principles of the natural world and scientific phenomena.
- English Language: English is the medium of instruction in most schools in Singapore. It is also a subject of study to improve language proficiency in reading, writing, listening, and speaking.
- Social Studies: Social Studies encompasses a range of subjects, including History, Geography, and elements of Civics and Citizenship Education. It helps students understand the world, its cultures, societies, and historical events.
In addition to these core subjects, students may also study various elective subjects based on their interests and the educational level they are at. These electives may include subjects like Art, Music, Physical Education, Computer Science, and more.